Position Title: Director of Human Resources and Administration
Activation Date: 21 October, 2021 Announced Date: 20 October, 2021 Expire Date: 20 November, 2021
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI - Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
Duties & Responsibilities:
A. As a member of the Senior Management Team:
- Demonstrate behaviours that are consistent with Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values and ensure their broader application by staff across the programme.
- Contribute to a conducive and productive work environment in a way that promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our teams to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service for our members and donors.
- Help design and implement a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to programme needs.
- Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: humanitarian and development donors, host government authorities, partner agencies, and other NGO actors.
- Ensure the Afghanistan Country Office complies with relevant Save the Children standards of Quality Framework and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that there is a clear oversight, control and assurance of the activities that fall directly under the HRA&IT Director but contribute to the same for the country office as a whole.
- Contribute to the country offices KPI improvement plan and strive towards having all KPI’s green.
B. STRATEGIC HUMAN RESOURCES PLANNING
- Responsible for conceptualization, design and management of staffing strategies to ensure that the organization acquires and retains a qualified workforce capable of meeting current organizational challenges in both development and emergency contexts
- Work closely with the programme departments to ensure that adequate HR inputs are provided and incorporated during development and implementation of all projects/programmes.
- Ensure appropriate job descriptions for critical and senior positions are developed and reflect Save the Children’s dual mandate
- Ensure hiring practices are fair, equitable and consistent and comply with local regulations as well as Save the Children Policies, conduct ongoing analysis to determine organizational staffing profile
- Prepare/participate in long range people forecasting & HR planning for the organization
- With inputs from senior managers, assess competencies and skills in light of changing context and content of job holders and advise Country Director
- Prepare terms and conditions of employment and issue all employment and consultancy contracts for Country Directors approval in compliance with Afghanistan Labour Laws (when required) and any other relevant Member guidelines
- Ensure appropriate and adequate emergency HR procedures are detailed in the Country Office Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to enable rapid scale up, and that all HR staff members understand and are able to perform their roles in an emergency.
C. HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Overall management and design of competitive and appropriate compensation and benefit policies for all employees, including short term and/or contract employees in emergencies
- Conduct compensation reviews, compute Cost of Living Allowance, formulate and implement employee benefit schemes and insurance packages and review periodically to bring in best practices
- Ensure that the compensation and benefit policies are cost effective, competitive, and equitable and are implemented effectively
- Ensure maintenance of updated information on staff salaries, allowances and income-tax calculations and ensuring compliance with current laws and regulations in close collaboration with the Director Finance and other SMT members
- Ensure the required level of HR support to all field offices.
- Institute and manage an appropriate Performance Management and Succession Planning system to ensure that the organization has a ready supply of staff with the requisite skills and competencies.
- Take a lead in implementing the performance management system in alignment with the organizational goals
- Design development tools for improving employees’ efficiency and skills on the basis of individual development action plan
- Facilitate the HR aspects (such as deployment mechanisms) of the Country Office’s Emergency Response Team
- Provide necessary HR support for incoming surge capacity during emergencies, working closely with Regional and Head Office HR
D. POLICIES & PROCEDURES
- Responsible for development, management and effective communication of Save the Children’s human resources employee policies and procedures.
- Plan , develop and implement personnel policies and procedures in accordance with the organization’s goals and statutory requirements
- Ensure that HR policies reflect a workplace free of discrimination and incorporate gender and diversity values of Save the Children
- Resolve all issues that arise pertaining to personnel administration.
- Prepare medical contingency plans and policies for staff and supervise HR administrator in maintaining personnel files for staff and all HR related documents.
- Ensure the implementation and awareness of the Save the Children policies on, Gender & Diversity, anti- Harassment and Child Safeguarding.
E. CHILD SAFEGUARDING
- Ensure the awareness and implementation of the Child Safeguarding Policy
- Ensure Provincial managers are aware and have a clear understanding of their responsibilities to implement the Child Safeguarding policy and make their programs safe for children.
- Ensure a clear reporting mechanism is in place and staff feel empowered and protected to report cases.
- Ensure that reported cases get handled appropriately and are being brought to the attention of the CD immediately.
E. STAFF DEVELOPMENT & EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
- Manage the overall Employee Relations for the organization
- Set the tone in terms of a positive management culture and ethics and facilitate their institutionalization at all levels, and ensures good teamwork within all field offices and the country office, as well as with other Member staff visiting or being deployed to the Country Office, including within emergency responses.
- Provide assistance and guidance to senior management staff to identify trends in employee relations issues and work with them to rectify issues.
- Work closely with SMT and other management staff to manage and coordinate grievance management and disciplinary proceedings involving any staff member and recommend appropriate action to resolve disputes.
- Advise Country Director on appropriate actions for prevention and response to any legal issue arising out of Save the Children’s work or employment, coordinate actions with legal counsel
- Provide guidance in formulating organization level staff development initiatives so that Save the Children Afghanistan has staff with the necessary skills and competencies
- Provide guidance and ensure that talent reviews are done and succession plans are in place for all management positions and critical coordinator positions.
- Provide guidance to Programme functions in finalizing plans for capacity building of staff and formulating the annual training calendar
- Work with other Save the Children partners to explore opportunities for cross visits, temporary duty assignments and learning opportunities.
- Provide support to Programme plans and assessments for capacity building of partners, including partners' HR planning, skills assessments and HR policies
- Ensure induction for all new Save the Children staff and support line managers to carry out induction sessions
- Ensures outgoing staff go through a proper exit interview in order to gain feedback and insights on Save the Children’s programme, organizational processes and systems
- Supervise Administration unit and promote values of efficiency, responsiveness and accountability; finalize and ensure familiarity and compliance with policies & procedures Manual whilst ensuring compliance with government laws and contractual obligations.
- Reviewing and updating operational manual on administration processes systems regularly according to changing organizational requirements and global policy. Ensure all staff are fully briefed in operating the administration systems.
- Provide all necessary support services including guesthouse management, lease agreements, office supplies, international and domestic travel, arrangement of training & workshop, social event management for smooth operation of office and program delivery activities.
- Ensure both the office and the Guesthouse of good quality in terms of respectively living and working environments.
G INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Supervising the IT staff and ensuring that adequate network system setup and support as well as trouble shooting and digitization support is functional.
- Supporting the IT team to ensure the consistent functionality of all information technology (database, servers, Internet, equipment, etc.)
- Support the IT staff in developing and establishing information systems that serve the needs of the program, including the development and implementation of program databases and mobile data collection tools.
G. LIAISON & EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Oversee the Liaison unit and ensure that all documentations, registration certificates, MOUs, agreements annual reports and other documents are produced in time and that there is a clear overview on this.
- Supporting the processing of visas, permits and travel documentations for staff and visitors
- Maintain strategic links with Government of Afghanistan /key ministries at national and provincial levels identify opportunities and ensure Save the Children’s participation in key activities of the national and provincial and local level government in relation to support services.
- Ensure that Save the Children policies are coherent and relevant to current policies in Afghanistan and internationally
- Organizational representation to maintain / develop further relations with the government of Afghanistan and other relevant government related stakeholders in relation to NGO, Immigration and Foreign Services.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post Graduate Degree in a relevant field plus professional qualification would be desirable
- A minimum of 5 years management experience at senior management level in a corporate or an NGO environment with a total of work experience of 10 years.
- Experience in the development of strategic and operational HR plans and their implementation in a professional work environment for a sustained period of time ie. at least three years.
- Ability to lead administration of a large organization like SCI
- Ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities in both development and emergency contexts.
- Demonstrated credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Dari and Pashtun.
Ability to express oneself succinctly, creatively and independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate skills in leading a multi- disciplined team through a period of change.
- Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise and motivate qualified professional staff with strong personal value systems.
- Analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff.
- Team building skills
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Competent level skills in core IT applications, particularly MS Office.
- A commitment to the values and principles of Save the Children
- High level of commitment to the principles of development and to the organizational and programmatic goals of Save the Children
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.