Position Title: Head of Finance
Activation Date: 20 October, 2021 Announced Date: 20 October, 2021 Expire Date: 19 November, 2021
The Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief and Development, ACBAR, is an independent forum founded in 1988 in response to the demand from NGOs working with Afghan refugees in Pakistan and across the border in Afghanistan to coordinate assistance and delivery of services more efficiently. With its main office in Kabul since 2002, ACBAR brings together 164 National and International NGOs working in in all sectors of humanitarian assistance and development in Afghanistan. ACBAR has a mission to provide an efficient platform for members to carry out effective humanitarian, development, and peace building activities in Afghanistan.
The Head of Finance (HoF), reporting to the Deputy Director, will ensure effective and efficient finance services. The HoF will play a key role in developing and implementing ACBAR strategies, representing ACBAR and its members with Ministries to resolve member challenges, and improving ACBAR’s finance systems, processes, and policies in support of ACBAR’s mission. The HoF will be a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), and will ensure timely and appropriate communication with relevant staff members regarding all issues related to finance – working to resolve any differences and prioritize time-sensitive tasks. The below responsibilities are not exhaustive; other tasks may be required according to changing operational and contextual needs.
- Line managing the finance team; supervise all financial and accounting activities.
- Represent ACBAR and ACBAR members to the relevant line ministries, including but not limited to, the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, Ministry of Economy, and Ministry of Finance to resolve overarching member concerns and challenges.
- Manage all finance activities so that they are implemented in a timely manner and meet expected quality standards.
- Ensure finance team cohesion and organize regular team building activities.
- Guarantee that ACBAR’S mandate, values, and policies are reflected throughout all support operations and activities (e.g. Code of Conduct, PSEA, Anti-Corruption and Anti-Fraud, and Security).
- Ensure that ACBAR’s accountability obligations are delegated and carried out in accordance with ACBAR protocols. Report any violations of ACBAR’s policies and protocols through its reporting mechanism(s).
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team and will facilitate to contribute to the SMT team meeting and decision making.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive financial management system in line with ACBAR policies and procedures, donor requirements, and according to general accounting principles.
- Maintain cashbooks and QuickBooks financial system, ensure timely monthly closure, and submission of financial data to the Director, the Steering Committee, and the General Assembly as required.
- Oversee daily accounting functions including data entry, cash counts, and bank reconciliations. Work with relevant staffs regarding compliance with procurement requirements and cash flow projections according to activity implementation planning and needs.
- Undertake periodic financial risk assessment to identify potential exposure to risks for ACBAR; develop/update an overall risk management strategy.
- Facilitate monthly review of budget versus actual (BVA) expenditures with program staff and with SMT.
- Prepare and check for reasonableness and accuracy of all budgets so that they are compliant with ACBAR and donor requirements. Work with program staffs to prepare budgets for proposals as required.
- Maintain an operational master budget; proactively address any funding gaps in close collaboration with the Deputy Director and Director.
- In collaboration with relevant staffs, plan and manage all audits – including development and close-out of any action plans that address audit recommendations. Ensure financial records are up-to-date and ready for auditors.
- Share and coordinate administration-related information with the Senior Management Team and other staffs; attend/chair any internal coordination meetings as required.
- Liaise with government officials, including representation on behalf of ACBAR members regarding, for example, issues of compliance, financial reporting, and tax clearances.
- Any other relevant duties as agreed with the supervisor.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or other relevant field. Additional professional certifications such as ACCA or CPA are preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of finance experience in development/humanitarian interventions with progressively more responsible positions. Eight years of that experience with NGOs preferred.
- Experience with international donor (e.g., USAID, FCDO, UN) regulations and reporting requirements.
- Ability to think strategically, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a complex and challenging environment; must be culturally sensitive.
- Documented track record of successful problem solving for NGOs not only internally but also with donors and Government of Afghanistan counterparts.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic with a high degree of flexibility with respect to working hours; ability to effectively plan and manage own time.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills in English and Dari/Pashto for reports and communications documents.
- Able to work under pressure and in difficult security conditions.
- Outstanding networking and interpersonal skills with different cultures.
- Ability to mentor/coach and train junior staffs is an advantage.
This position is open only to candidates authorized to work in Afghanistan as national staffs. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. ACBAR strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience may submit their current CV and cover letter detailing their motivation to apply and why they are best suited for the position.
Please submit your application (i.e., cover letter and CV), both in English, to email@example.com no later than 31 October 2021 and please mention job title and vacancy number in Subject of your email, else your application will not be considered. Please do not submit any written recommendations or training certificates as part of your application. Any CV-only applications or applications emailed directly to individual ACBAR staffs will not be considered.
Because applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and this position may be filled prior to the closing date, please send submissions as soon as possible. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have questions or are facing problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.